Re: [LUG] xen virtulisation

stinga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> G'day all,
>
> We have an old server that it dieing.
> We have a dependency on a module for a pci card the we are struggling
> with the vendor over, see previous emails...
>
> Out next possible solution is to build a virtual machine and take the
> old machine and dump it into a virtual host.

Does xen support transparent PCI pass through?, I doubt if it Does. This
is an issue even with VMWare. I know serial, parallel and USB can be
done but PCI sounds unlikely.

> (my other thought was to take a kernel that is close and hack the
> version number in the kernel to match the version in the module)

This sounds far more promising. If you start with a generic kernel.org
kernel of the same version number you could probably crow bar the module
in there. You may need to play with SMP and preempt options etc.. to at
least have the correct functions present but that should work.

You could probably install debian sarge then change the kernel to your
version and have a something that works.

--
Robin Cornelius
http://www.byteme.org.uk