Re: [LUG] Interesting article about the MS Vista EULA

I assume the activation is still there with XP you could upgrade various
bits of hardware,  no problem,  however after too much you had to
re-activate the software,  I assume that this procedure in vista,  send
data on the hardware installed to MS.  so when that copy is moved to
another computer and re-activated, then it picks up that it's on a
differenet cd,  because perhaps there is a secret serial code for each
cd or something,  either way MS are spying on users,   the data sent
back could be anything,  no one knows,  what is then done with it, well
MS say they don't share this info with others (illigal anyway),  but if
this is the case then I guess it's easy for them to check you have
re-installed the software on a different computer.

Aparently they will let you copy this software,  but the longer you run
a pirate copy the features get slowly disabled,  until you have an
unusable system, (no comments please) surely this can only happen if you
are in some way connected to the net at some point,  either all the time
or once so data can be sent back / forth, or when you first activate it
registers as a iligal copy,  sends data back to the OS which kicks in
the slow disable routine.

I can see people complaining that this is happening,  the DCLUG members
can take advantage of this esp when they ask how did MS know,  how did
they get my Details,  you can jump in and suggest Linux or open source,
because of the open source nature this can't happen without people
knowing about it,  A distro like debian / ubuntu will serve your needs
regarding office suites,  graphics, etc,  again open source so you can
contribute ideas, code etc.   Esp when they get hit will a bill for
about 200 quid for a full copy of windows,

Just an idea,  but we can take advantage here,  and show people the
otherway.

Paul