[LUG] Migrating/merging servers...

Hi all,

As I've alluded to in the past, it is my intention to merge my existing
mailserver and webserver into my existing fileserver... I only ever had
them separated so that I could get one working without risking breaking
the other.  Now that I'm happy they all work nicely, I want to merge
them. :)

So, I've established that possibly the easiest thing to do would be find
out what packages are installed on each server (done), and simply
apt-get install the appropriate ones onto the target machine (it's
already running Debian Stable).  Moving the files from the webserver
shouldn't be a problem - I tend to keep *everything* in /var/www so I
only have one place to copy over.

Here's my current crunch...

On the target machine, I have a nice big harddrive with plenty of data
on it, currently mounted at /mnt/200... ideally, I'd like to have that
remounted as /var (because I'm gonna have /var/www, /var/shared on there
shortly), however there are currently lots of files/directories on the
existing /var directory.

So, how can I duplicate the current /var structure onto the 200GB drive,
remove the current /var structure and the remount the 200GB drive as
/var... possibly without having to reboot?

Or would something along these lines be infinitely easier to do using
another system, such as Knoppix... ie boot to the other system, make the
necessary changes, reboot back to the working system?

Cheers.
Grant.