Re: [LUG] Adding kubuntu

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 12:29:28 +0100
Mark Jose <kernowyon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The (K)Ubuntu partitioning tool is not as good as the Mandriva one for ease of
> use. However, it isn't too complex to use. You can select the hard drive (by
> default it displays hda, so if you have 2 drives you may want to click that
> to select the other drive), then the partitioning tool gives a graphical
> display of the drive. From there, it is pretty much standard.
>
>>From the sound of it I should not have any problems then. I have just
the one HD. I must just decide how much to allocate where.

> If you use DHCP, I would assume it will be detected. As I use static IPs, it
> never works for me on any distro - I always have to manually alter the
> settings to static and enter my IPs after setup is completed.

I do use DHCP, not static settings, so again it seems that I should not
have any problems with the broadband connection.

> Gnome is not included by default, although you can easily install it. For
> something like Gnucash, simply selecting that from the package manager will
> install both Gnucash and any dependancies it needs.
> There are several ways to install programs in the Ubuntu family, but unless
> you know exactly what you need, then there are two graphical managers
> installed.
> One is a fairly basic one - which lives on the menu called "add and remove
> programs" , the other, which is much more useful and will show all the
> programs available in the Ubuntu repositories you have in your apt
> sources.list is found under System from the menu - that one is called Adept.
> For example, I use a genealogical program called Gramps. That needs not only
> Gnome libraries, but also a lot of very specific python libraries too - it is
> quite demanding on its requirements. In the past, using some distros, I have
> really struggled to get Gramps installed. Its list of dependancies is so long
> that eventually you simply give up. Kubuntu makes it work easliy - I simply
> select to install Gramps, and the Adept front end to apt simply adds all the
> relevant needs.
>
> Mark
Thanks for all that information. I too use Gramps, at the moment with
Mandriva of course. I had no problems installing it and it ran
straight away so I must have had all the necessary python programs etc
already. Lucky me! It does sound as if installing new programs with
kubuntu will be easier. Often in the past I have had dependency
problems.

Thanks again

Neil Winchurst