Re: [LUG] Glad I use Linux

Colin James wrote:
> I am glad I use Linux as for some reason today I have been targeted with
> lots of viruses through my email. I have no idea why these have started
> coming through as I am very careful where I put my email address. This
> is one the messages I received with a virus attached.

Yes - seems to be a new round of worms that are getting past many isp
anti-virus filters.

I installed clamav onto my debian box last week alongside spamassassin.
Within 24 hours it had picked out three new virus variants and 12
different phishing emails - all of which had gotten past Eclipse's virus
scanning.

I was very impressed by that, I recommend it.

(SA, after more tweaking, is now identifying 95% of all incoming email
as spam, and it's not done a false positive yet. Much is coming to email
addresses that have never been published, so must either have been
lifted from a contact's address book during a virus attack, or were
lifted from the mail relay's exim vhosts on a hosted server.)

I'm starting to hear rumours that some companies are abanding email
completely as they can't sort the wheat from the chaff - and given the
poor response from email queries I've had with various companies lately,
I can believe it.