Re: [LUG] Mail questions

Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> But then what is the benefit? As far as I can tell there's no reason
> for me to move from one to the other; but then I think there must be
> some benefits as people use desktop mail clients alot (or it seems
> that way!).
>
> It's a good point about being able to borrow an e-mail address - maybe
> I will look in to pgp etc...
'Borrowing' or more accurately hijacking an email address is as simple
as finding an Open Relay, establishing a telnet to it on port 25, and
then knowing the commands to fake a sufficiently plausible email.

telnet [mailserver] 25
helo (on some servers you may need to identify yourself)

mail from:senders address

which gives you :-

250 Sender <senders address> Ok

rcpt to:recipients address

which gives you :-

250 Recipient <recipients address> Ok

data

which gives you :-

354 Ok Send data ending with <CRLF>.<CRLF>

To set a subject field type :- subject: subject title
To set recipient field :- to:recipient name
To set from field type :- from:from name

Then just type in message body content

Finish the message with <CRLF>.<CRLF> (i.e. enter - fullstop - enter)

Which will give you :-
.
250 Message received:

On the subject of email, can you not top-post please?  It's a pain in
the bum to figure out which comments you're answering :) (also bad
netiquette).

Personally I prefer ISP/local mail.  Although for Uni it's handy being
able to pick up my mail on the web at home or in Uni and not worry about
'Did I print that off before I left the house?', I prefer a system where
*I* have control over my mail archive.  If for example Google, Yahoo,
Hotmail, etc had a catastrophic failure and their mail records got wiped
out, I would have lost all my mail on that provider until such time as
they recovered off their backups (and that assumes it wasn't a physical
disaster that destroyed the *actual* records).

My way I have total control over my mail archive and if it gets
lost/deleted/destroyed I have nobody to blame except myself.  I don't
have to wait for a third party to figure out a) that something bad has
happened, b) what they're going to do about it and c) to actually do it;
leaving me without mail in the interim.

Kind regards,

Julian