Re: [LUG] Flash 9 beta

Tom Potts wrote:
> On Friday 20 October 2006 09:55, William Fidell wrote:
>> Tom Potts wrote:
>>> By simply informing companies that use flash you are not going to use it
>>> and they don't really need to then real alternatives will surface - like
>>> html/javascript for almost all flash.
>> Like AJAX?  Which is a bitch to debug and work perfectly across the
>> board,  not to mention bitchingly slow.  Flash for all its other
>> problems, is very easy to pump db driven data into.
>>
>> To more points about flash, 1) it is mainly used by "creative" types,
>> who prefer drawing to coding and 2) it is used by ~98% of internet
>> browsers.
>>
>> Yes, there probably shouldn't be a monopoly and somebody should develop
>> an alternative.  But it has to be a viable one.
>>
>> Wills
> I know I should really practice what I preach here and actually do something.
> Its one of the reasons I moved to the farm - didn't quite reckon on the kids
> and the weather properly....
> It just needs an front end to create and link the active elements together.
> That could be an AJAX but the output can be pure html/javascript/svg*/images
> or even the new HTML panel element!
> But no, not LIKE AJAX - AJAX is a bitch to debug  but only because no-one
> seems to put that framework in at the start - there is a JSunit somewhere but
> using venkman and a bit of common sense ( how about a logging window and a
> DEBUG boolean/integer?) it shouldn't be too hard - a lot easier than
> replacing Flash!
> Tom te tom te tom
>
> *just wondering what the svg browser penetration is?
> You can get a panel in Firefox - anyone know if it works in IE yet?

Without hijacking this into an AJAX thread.  I do use a bit of AJAX for
backend / CMS stuff to try and make the processes easier for clients.  I
  am currently using sajax, modified slightly into an object.  Which
works rather well because it is nice and simple.  Although, the lack of
debuging is a bitch, for instance it will break if any thing sent to the
browser before its time. Like error messages.  A debug window would be
great.

A quick search of the interweb suggests that SVG penetration, for
ironically adobe's plugin, is around 10%. It could be the way forward,
depends on the interface for manipulating the format is like really.

Wills