Re: [LUG] Distros??

On 19/10/06, Neil Winchurst <neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> There has been some discussion about which distro to recommend for
> people new to Linux. So far the main contender seems to be Ubuntu. So I
> have two questions.
>
> 1 Why not mention kubuntu as well, or are most people on the lug
> devotees of Gnome?

Suggestion more would make it confusing as you'd have to explain the
difference between them, also Kubuntu is an offshoot and therefore
less polished/supported.

I'd suggest looking at Fedora Core and Ubuntu - they have the most
focus on running new hardware out of the box and being user friendly
and have huge community support that is newbie friendly.

Essentially it's like having 2 brands - there is a consistency in
using RHEL on servers and FC on your home computer/laptop, or using
ubuntu at home and debian at work.

> 2 Does anyone know which is the most used distro among lug members? Or
> is that information not available?

I've been using RedHat for ages - I tried SuSE a long time ago and
recently tried ubuntu but it didn't work quite as nicely as fedora on
this laptop (really nitpicky differences, but it was quicker to try
both, than try to make one work well via the usual support channels).

Also at work I've had either Redhat or Debian servers, so I might as
well stick with a redhat or debian based distro at home.

A.

--
http://www.aarontrevena.co.uk