Re: [LUG] Laptop touch pad

On Tuesday 17 October 2006 20:14, Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience with laptop touchpads? Specifically
> the synaptic driver?
Yes indeed.

> I've got my touchpad set up quite nicely so it's
> not too slow etc but I can't for the life of me get the tap to click
> to work on it, it's not vital but it would make me a bit happier and
> slightly less frustrated.
I used to have exactly the same problem on a Sony Vaio PCG-FX805/Debian Etch.

> Here's the relavent part of my xorg.conf file:
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier      "Synaptics Touchpad"
>         Driver          "synaptics"
>         Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
>         Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"
>         Option          "Protocol"              "auto-dev"
>         Option          "HorizScrollDelta"      "0"
>         Option          "MinSpeed"              "0.02"
>         Option          "MaxSpeed"              "0.580"
>         Option          "AccelFactor"           "0.450"
>         Option          "MaxTapTime"            "1000"
>         Option          "MaxTapMove"            "220"
> EndSection
>
> As you can see I've arleady been playing with the "MaxTapTime" options
> and I know, well I think, mine is currently set to a somewhat absurd
> setting but smaller ones didn't make any noticable differences
> (neither does this setting however!).

>>From the command line, "synclient -l" (that's synclient minus ell, not one)
will list all your settings. Look out for
    TapButton1           = 1
    TapButton2           = 2
    TapButton3           = 3
in there somewhere.

If TapButton1 is anything other than 1, it won't left-click-to-tap.
You can use "synclient TapButton1=1" to see whether it works or not.
There may be some other stuff to dicker with, but that was the crux of it for
me.

You may or may not then need to find out why it wasn't correct to begin with
(if you want it to work when you next login).

In my case (I use KDE), I did have ksynaptics installed and it was not
compatible with the latest synaptics driver.
Uninstalling ksynaptics cured it permanently.

HTH

> Thanks!
> --
> Jon

OK.
Matt

PS
Here is my entire synclient -l output for reference
-$ synclient -l
Parameter settings:
    LeftEdge             = 120
    RightEdge            = 830