Re: [LUG] Laptop for "Granny" (the great social experiment)

Ubuntu I think. Although I don't think there are any really noticable
differences between Debian testing and Ubuntu, Ubuntu's presentation
is that much sharper and friendlier to see; it's just a nice extra
touch!

Would be good to hear how she gets on with it...

On 18/10/06, Ben Goodger <goodgerster@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 18/10/06, Tom Brough <tombrough@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Ok I have bitten the bullet and bought a laptop on behalf of my 92 year
> > old Mother (Peter's Granny).
> >
> > She wants to do web browsing, WP and Desktop Publishing including
> > "publishing" music so something like Rosegarden with a suitable front
> > end for editing (but open to other packages).
> >
> > Question is which distro ?
>
> I believe that the best one all-round is Ubuntu as it has never patronised
> nor confused (in general) me, although I started using it a year ago and can
> now manipulate xorg.conf with ease.
>
> > and
> >
> > Any other packages suggestions.
>
> Hmm.
> Gaim, F-Spot and the GIMP are always good ideas, as she can then communicate
> with you easily, manage photos (is she into that sort of thing?) and
> manipulate graphics for her DTP work (oh yes, use Scribus or OOo:Draw for
> that.)
>
> > For my money its down to Debian or Ubuntu, but if you know of a "Granny"
> > orientated distro I will consider it.
>
> The advert on the right-hand side is telling me to use Libranet as it's
> debian-based and user-friendly, but I feel that Ubuntu will be better
> despite its supposed difficulties.
>
> --
> Ben Goodger
> #391382