Re: [LUG] Location of lug members (inspired by cornish intrest)

On 10/12/06, Neil Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > and so .....I will probably regret this but ....
>
> I don't see why not, although the start page should explain exactly
> what is about to happen. Remember, once your email to the list hits the
> DCGLUG archive (on the hour), it's available for the next Google bot to
> index and all manner of visitors could be adding their details.

The regret will come when my poor perl or php causes a root breach on
the webserver :-)

> If you want a list of current subscribers (to turf out those who would
> abuse your HTML form for spam purposes), contact me off-list and I'll
> send you a SQL dump containing all the current usernames.

I will see how it goes, will just stick to manual checking for the
very short term.

> If your code is portable to the DCGLUG server, I can also merge it into
> the members area so that the username is retrieved from the login
> details. Some meeting report entries may contain postcodes but it's
> probably best to collect those afresh.

I thought about this, it would be better if the entry was behind the
login/registration page to prevent abuse. So perhaps we can go this
way at some point, the data is in a sql database. I am only storing
the name and the (randomised) lat and long co-ordinates, I do not
store the exact co-ordinates or the postcode entered.

> > I have chucked together a simple google maps system where you can
> > enter your name and postcode and it places a dot on the map to show
> > you where you are.
>
> What's the status of this code? Is the google maps service freely
> usable and unfettered by logins/registration/licences/T&C's? (Apologies
> if this is "well-known" already, I haven't kept up with Google maps.)

The only stipulations for google maps are that the website you create
with the maps API must be on a public web server. You do have to
register for a API key which is unique to a domain name but that's it
a one time operation and one liner in the code.

My code needs a lot of extra bits adding to it, i have just thrown the
bare bones together in about 1 hour.

--
Robin Cornelius
http://www.byteme.org.uk