Re: [LUG] apt-get question: Do I want to continue?

On 11/10/06 18:33:42, Adrian Midgley wrote:
  hpijs
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
lyrae:/home/akm# apt-get install hpijs
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Suggested packages:
  hplip hpoj hpijs-ppds hplip-doc
The following packages will be REMOVED
  foomatic-filters-ppds hplip-ppds

$ apt-cache show foomatic-filters-ppds
Again, you probably don't want this package unless you have a lot of
 disk space to spare and/or using the CUPS or PPR web interface to set
 up your printer queue is important to you.

I use a network printer and the CUPS web interface but I don't have foomatic installed, I use the main cups packages and cupsys-driver-gimpprint.

  hpijs

If I let it wipe out foomatic won't that leave me with no printing?

If you are unsure, use
$ dpkg -l hpijs
to get the current version before you upgrade, upgrade, test the printer and if it doesn't work, downgrade to the previous version. (Then file a bug report).

--

Neil Williams