Re: [LUG] IP to Location software

Simon Waters wrote:
> James Fidell wrote:
>>   http://sourceforge.net/projects/geoip/
>
> This also got an airing on NANOG a few months back, so read the archive
> there for other service providers.

I vaguely recall that.  Unfortunately the SNR on NANOG is pretty low
these days, often below my boredom threshold and I don't work at an ISP
any more, so I don't pay that much attention to it as I used to.

> But the basic question is flawed - IP addresses don't map to country.
>
> Country is a fairly fluid social construct, IP address is something
> technical and well defined.
>
> Some IP addresses occur in more than one geographical location (The root
> DNS server "F" is a good example, as well as RFC1918 space).
>
> I suspect some IP addresses are probably in geostationary orbit.

In some cases it can still be a useful bit of information to have
though, if you accept that there are occasions when it will be
completely wrong.

James