[LUG] Converts to Linux

There have been some comments recently about helping people who are
perhaps considering moving over to Linux. Mostly the suggested version
of Linux is (k)ubuntu. Perhaps I have misunderstood something, but here
are my thoughts.

I have never tried ubuntu, but I have read a lot of reviews and
comments about it and one of the surprises was that there is apparently
no need to have  root password.

I have always understood that one of the main advantages to Linux over
Windows is that normal users, not knowing the root password, cannot
cause any accidental (or malicious) damage to the system files. If this
is not the case with ubuntu then perhaps that is not a good version to
suggest.

Or am I not understanding something?

Neil Winchurst