Re: [LUG] IE for linux !

On Tuesday 26 September 2006 08:53, paul sutton wrote:
> Ok without provoking comments on my own site,  surely if the site is w3c
> complient and has the logo thing which links to the validator to prove
> this, then the site is writtne properly and the w3c link will prove
> this,  the fact that IE can't cope with this is not the fault of the web
> site author,  you  could put that you have made this site compatable
> with w3c standards, and therefore it compatable with all w3c browsers,
>
> am I correct here, and also correct in thinking that IE is MS standards
> complient rather than fully W3c standards complient.
>

> Paul
>
> Tom Potts wrote:
> >At last you too can become victims of the worlds best virus writers:
> >http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=34625
Oh if only that were the case!
Theres a lot of sites with the w3c link - all that means is they use valid
markup - it can be quite unreadable even in a compliant browser.
I personally (being a cussed bstard at the best of times) try and write only
compliant stuff and if I'm feeling generous (sarcastic) put in a browser
detect and let IE users know that it will not display properly as their
browser is NOT compliant with the w3c standards.
The simple fact is that 80%+ use IE and if you want to sell your site to the
'general public' then you have to accommodate it.

When it comes to writing 'development' software (I'm playing with a javascript
editor ala FCKeditor) then I write for Mozilla/w3c standards - then the IE
bods can modify it for themselves should they feel the desire.
Tom te tom te tom