Re: [LUG] SATA v PATA

On Sunday 24 September 2006 12:21, David Johnson wrote:

> I did the same a while ago and went for SATA II (SATA/300). The drives
> aren't any more expensive than IDE and they're about twice as fast. But
> beware of Maxtor drives as I've had nothing but problems with them
> (failures, incompatibility with RAID controller, etc). Don't bother with
> SATA I (SATA/150) as these drives aren't any faster than IDE.
>
> Most SATA controllers seem to be supported in Linux now and it all seems
> quite stable, so there's nothing to worry about there.

Thanks David,

My current 3 year old P4 - 3 Ghz box has a couple of Maxtor IDE 133 disks
which haven't been a problem, but I will heed your warning if I decide not to
re-use them and go for the SATA option.

It seems that various manufacturers have periodic problems.  I had a few
failures with new IBM Deskstar and Western Digital Caviar 20/40 Gb disks a
couple of years ago,  yet the 8 year old Seagate disks grind on happily in my
IPCop boxes :)

--
W. Devon