Re: [LUG] SATA v PATA

David Bell wrote:
> Thanks David,
> My current 3 year old P4 - 3 Ghz box has a couple of Maxtor IDE 133 disks
> which haven't been a problem, but I will heed your warning if I decide not to
> re-use them and go for the SATA option.
>
> It seems that various manufacturers have periodic problems.  I had a few
> failures with new IBM Deskstar and Western Digital Caviar 20/40 Gb disks a
> couple of years ago,  yet the 8 year old Seagate disks grind on happily in my
> IPCop boxes :)
"They don't make 'em like they used to..." :p

I had problems with the Deskstars a few years ago too. It was very
strange... one of them just "died" (making some very musical grinding
noises as the heads scrape along) but the other one just periodically
(18months or so) lost the partition table information. For some reason
it has now settled down and behaves itself very nicely. Have a nice old
disk in my IPCop box which has never caused any problems, what so ever,
and it had been in fairly heavy use from about '97 until early last year
(when it got put in my IPCop box).

Grant.