Re: [LUG] Happy Software Freedom Day

Tom Brough wrote:

> As we haven't done anything as a group to mark software Freedom day
> (16/09/2006), I just thought I would wish you all a happy software
> freedom day 2006.

Well, no, we haven't done anything "as a group" but individually lots
(all?) of DCGLUG members are contributing to free software and software
freedom in one way or another.

Which is more important - contributing to the goal or contributing to a
banner that promotes the goal?

I've never quite grasped what SFD was trying to achieve. Hundreds of
charities and organisations declare certain days/weeks as "Save foo
week" or "Foo awareness week" but these events are all just one sided
promotional gimmicks. Anyone can declare a day/week as whatever they
feel like but unless others accept it as such, it's pointless and
meaningless. I get dozens of notifications like that at work - a week
for asthma, or diabetes, whatever. Those involved do what they can and
the rest of the globe just "moves on by".

Even when an event does catch the wider public mood, the moment is gone
all too soon - nothing attracts less coverage than "old news".

SFD is a good idea and worth supporting when it coincides with other
events or issues but on it's own, it isn't effective.

The goal is more important than the day - the easiest things to promote
are those that "Just Do The Right Thing". Fixing the bugs in free
software will, in the end, give everyone a system that promotes itself.

The only reasons commercial entities need to advertise are:
1. The product is genuinely ground-breaking.
2. The product is struggling and/or the company is desperate for cash.

That's it.
:-)

Case 1 doesn't happen often (and doesn't need to last beyond the initial
announcements if the product is any good - the global media circus will
take care of the rest).

The most successful "products" are those that don't need to be
advertised, they promote themselves just by doing TheRightThing.

--

Neil Williams