[LUG] Combining sound cards with Alsa - anyone managed to do this?

Hi folks,

I'm currently trying to setup a PC to run a Virtual DJ type application
called Mixxx.  It is supposed to support playback and mixing of two
audio files at once.  Unfortunately it only supports one sound card!

The PC I am using (a Dell Optiplex GX620 with a Pentium D 820 & 1GB
memory) has an on board Intel sound card which I'm guessing by default
should have 5.1 (or 4 channel) output although I can't seem to get it
to play in 4 channel mode.

Now I was reading up (here -
http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=TwoCardsAsOne) that is possible
to configure Alsa to use two sound cards as one card.  I'm guessing
this should give me the option of 4 channel sound.  I can't however
seem to get it to play anything out of the second sound card (cheapo
SoundBlaster PCI soundcard).

Has anyone successfully managed to get Alsa to make two sound cards
appear to be one card?

Unfortunately this PC is a small form factor PC and won't take a normal
size PCI sound card (so a SoundBlaster Live is out of the question).

Anyone got any ideas?

Rob