Re: [LUG] IP Camera Recording Software.

James Wonnacott wrote:
> Does anybody know of any software that will record images from an IP
> camera. I've just got hold of an Axis camera (runs Linux :-)) and want
> to use it as a security camera. It needs to selectively record..i.e.
> only when there is movement etc.

Good cameras. I run CCTV for work's farm and use 9 Axis IP cams (206's,
207w's and 211's, and one Gadspot pan/tilt.

The software you want is called ZoneMinder.  http://www.zoneminder.com

Free, a little hard to build the first time (many dependancies - but
good documentation), and is frankly superb. Linux only, but with Win32
frontend for remote servers if required. (Although the web interface is
really all you need)

Very tweakable motion detection including zones, linked cameras (One
triggers, they all record) - by far the best motion detection around,
presets for Axis and others, nice web interface including streaming of
images to further remote clients. Happy to work on LAN or internet
links. Great support and actively updated. Mature and highly adaptable
software. Can be linked into X10 or any software based trigger.

Downsides: Not hugely scaleable. CPU loads can be high if using high fph
and big resolutions and you need to split the cameras up onto different
servers if the load gets too high. (This load issue is endemic to all IP
cams since the server needs to decode the jpg or mjpeg stream and
interpret it. It's NOT because of bad coding on ZM). No audio or MPEG4
support (A lot of the cheaper cameras use MPEG4 and ActiveX wrappers -
Axis don't, they're good cams)

ZM /may/ be overkill for a single camera that wants basic motion
detection (I'm guessing it's a 20x - the more expensive models have
modect supported on camera, I think), but it allows you the opportunity
to expand and add cameras. I've been using it for over a year now and
not hit that wall of frustration that so many software packages provide.