[LUG] Unix servers and mailing lists

Hi All,

Just throwing this into the group in case anyone has any comments or advice.

I am looking into implementing a mailing list from our dedicated server
which runs FreeBSD and Postfix as its MTA.

Does anyone know of any performance bottlenecks or other technical issues
when sending out mass email from a server. Typically 1000 messages at a
time. All emails are sent on a opt-in basis.

Will this have any performance issues on the rest of the system in terms of
apache, mysql etc.. when a mailing is being sent.
Then again should I think about this as a Postfix issue and hence Postfix
requires tuning.

I have already set up SPF records on all domains on this server and
implemented reverse DNS lookups so that services such as spamcop etc can be
assured that messages are coming from a finite source and not being hijacked
by another server.

Any other comments or ideas?

Thanks.

Regards