Re: [LUG] SSH

On 9/7/06, Richard Brown <rich@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> For all those that have been following my woes, I have fixed the problems.
> Gave the box a static ip address and told it to use dns servers and apt-get
> works no problem!

Well at least its working, you will have to manualy specify dns
servers with a staic configuration .

> Now I need to understand ssh so I can move files from one computer to another!
> Under Ubuntu, you can click on a Connect to server menu and select ssh. You
> are then asked a series of questions and here is where I get unstuck.

You can't directy move files with ssh, ssh is a secure remote shell
all you will do is login to a terminal on the remote computer. What
you describe is the same as typing ssh at a terminal window.

scp is one tool to copy files or rysnc both do/can use the ssh
protocol to do the dirty work (rsync can use others as well).

you want somthing like

scp robin@xxxxxxxxxxx:/home/robin/mybigfile.txt .

will copy the file /home/robin/mybigfile.txt from 192.168.1.3 to the
current directly on the local machine (.) and login as the user robin
to do so. You will be prompted for a password.

rsync is similar in usage but it can copy whole directories and keep a
local and remote folders and files in sync with each other..

Regards

Robin

--
Robin Cornelius