Re: [LUG] Kubuntu etc

Neil Winchurst wrote:
> My brother now lives within a mile. He uses Windows, of course, but has
> expressed interest in Linux. I have been using Mandrake/Mandriva for
> several years, using KDE not Gnome.
>
> I know that there are several versions of Linux which my brother could
> try without actually installing anything on his hard drive, that is
> which will run from the CD drive.
>
> However I don't know much about any of them. Any suggestions, warnings,
> comments, recommendations etc would be gratefully received.
>
> TIA
>
> Neil Winchurst

As your subject is Kubuntu I will assume you are interested in
distros which have the KDE desktop. I can only comment on the
distros I have sampled in the last 6 months.

Kanotix (http://kanotix.com/)

I've been using Kanotix as an installed system for approx 18 months.
It's based on the Debian unstable release.
As live CDs both the Easter and the 2005-04 edition load quickly and
have truly excellent hardware detection.
The 2005-04 version has Openoffice whereas the Easter edition uses
KOffice.
After installation:-
The user forums seems to have lots of willing and knowledgable help
(which is clearly necessary with a distro base on Debian unstable).
Also the Kanotix-Update-GUI tool allows easy (IMHO idiot prooof)
package, kernel and distro upgrades plus installation of 3D drivers.

Kubuntu
(http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/releases.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/6.06/)

Kubuntu 6.06-1 LST and 6.06 LST (as a live CDs) seem to take ages to
load to a usable system. It has OpenOffice.

After installation:-
Kubuntu 6.06 LST seems buggy to me. eg Installed an Epsom Stylus
Color 600. Changed driver to A4 from Letter and printing no longer
functioned.
6.06-1 LST's only virtue seems to be that it has a patched kernel
enabling it to use SATA drives with mobos that have the notorious VIA
vt8251 chipset. This virtue will disappear when the 2.6.18 kernel is
released (approx 1 month).
Kubuntu and Ubuntu have an enormous user forum.

Keith