Re: [LUG] (Non-Linux Topic) Daisy chaining power-supplies?

Grant Sewell wrote:

>> How do you connect more than 4 IDE devices (assuming that's what is intended)
>> to a standard mobo?
> I already have a PCI-IDE card that'll take an extra 4 devices, so that
> brings me upto 8 potentialy... so I'm just gonna get some Molex
> splitters and see how I get on.

 From experience; If you have a lot of hdd's, don't put it somewhere you
can hear it...

A "basic" modern psu is about 450-500watt now to cope with hungry
processors and fancy graphics cards, and should have a load to spare in
a more modest system with a bunch of drives.

Want a fun idea? Grab a big old server off ebay. I bought a Compaq 5500
a couple of months ago for £85. It's *massive*. Came with twin
redundant, PSU's, FOUR 500mhz Xeon processors, 5 18.9gb SCSI drives,
redundant fans - all in perfect condition and now running Debian etch
and some cpu-intensive CCTV software. You can replace a PSU, Processor
or drive whilst it's running... I've also managed to get a 200gb ide
drive running in it on the CD-ROM controller, which isn't supposed to be
possible.

Good points: Incredible VFM, will probably survive a direct nuclear
strike, many geekpoints.

Bad points: Very heavy (two-man lift job if you value your back) and
very very very very loud. I've had to house it in a garage at work due
to the noise. I mean seriously, it shocked me how much noise it makes.
(most of it from the turbine-like cooling fans). When I had it in my
home office configuring it I had to wear ear defenders.