From:   list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [SMTP:list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Grant Sewell
Sent:   Friday, August 18, 2006 12:13 PM
To:     list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:        [LUG] (Non-Linux Topic) Daisy chaining power-supplies?

Hi all,

I am looking to install several hard-drives, maybe a removable-hdd tray,
and a CD/DVD Reader/Burner into a system I'm (re)building.  Ideally, I
would also like to *not* spend a fortune on this as I am kinda recycling
bits and bobs into this machine as it is.  So, to my question: I am
likely to need a few extra Molex connectors for all the drives,
unfortunately it would seem that the vast majority of PSUs I have (or
are available at a sensible price) are limited to having 4 Molex
connectors.  Is it possible to daisy-chain two PSUs so I have the extra
power I need?  I know that the ATX PSUs don't work unless connected to a
motherboard and the power-switch was pressed... I'm guessing a couple of
pins on the mobo connector would need shorting?

Just thinking around the problem... I could spend some more money and
get a higher rated PSU and add a few Moles splitters... but is that wise?

Please bear in mind that I'm not particularly electrically minded or
inclined...

Cheers.
Grant.

Please note...
The views in this message are personal; they are not necessarily those of Torbay Council.
Torbay Council has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email. The Council cannot accept responsibility
for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or any attachments.

Unless otherwise explicitly stated above no employee or agent is authorised to conclude any binding agreement on behalf of Torbay Council
with any other party by email. Likewise, unless otherwise explicitly stated, nothing in this email should be taken as agreement to enter
any binding contract for the supply of goods or services.

Senders and recipients of email should be aware that under the UK Data Protection and Freedom of Information legislation these contents
may have to be disclosed in response to a request.
Under the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000, Lawful Business Practice Regulations, any E-mail sent to or from this address may
be accessed by someone other than the recipient for system management and security purposes.