[LUG] MBR

Hi Everyone,

I decided to kill a suse 9.3 pro install on a pc yesterday, and try
out slackware 10.2.

It went like this:

boot with install disk
log in to root
fdisk /dev/hda
deleted the partitions
created a swap partition, double my ram, type 82(or was it
83...nomatter, thats all ok)
created the / partition
ran setup
chugged through the install
rebooted
got an Error 13 loading Grub.

It seems it had loaded the boot loader (lilo) on to the boot partition
(2) which would have worked fine, had grub not been present on the
MBR.

I solved it quickly by booting with the cd, logging to root and
running setup/configure and choosing to install lilo on the MBR,
overwriting the Grub loader.

I'd assumed that killing the partitions would have killed the MBR, I
can see now why thats not the case, but was wondering if anyone knew
of a way to control the contents of the MBR for future reference so
that I can kill an old grub install if I want to boot from a lilo
install on a boot partition?