Re: [LUG] TV tuners

On 07/08/06 10:52:55, James Fidell wrote:

> Personally I don't think I'd ever be desperate enough to read my
> email
> or look at a webpage that I'd want to do it on a television set,
> certainly not a CRT one anyhow, but even ignoring that I think the
> Myth "music" interface is utterly horrible to use, so I don't.

The music interface is horrible, I agree!

> The main thing I've not worked out yet is whether it's worth going to
> the effort of hooking up the full 5-1 sound output, or going with the
> optical link to the amp.

I used a coax link from my sound blaster to the amp, works fine.
I am not sure if the DVD player is better, but myth is easier.
Getting close to disposing of the DVD player as well. The only issue is
that the myth box is in the basement under the lounge along with all
the other network crap (pbx, firewall, work vpn unit, dmz machine, main
server.. makes nice underfloor heating :-))

So we have gone from
2 X vcr
amp
dvd
tuner
cd player
tape deck

1 X vcr (need to copy all my tapes off, not that many to do)
amp
dvd (have not used in the last year)
cd player (not used in last year)
tuner (never used in this house, crap reception)
squeezebox (soon, then the cd player and the tuner can go)

The hardest bit was running the cabling everywhere, but I have managed
to get 4 network drops in every room, with 8 in my office. (suspect it
is not going to be enough though, the way network enabled devices are
going)

--
'ooroo

Email: mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxx        o
You need only two tools.        o /////
A hammer and duct tape. If it    /@   `\  /) ~
doesn't move and it should use  >  (O)  X<  ~  Fish!!
the hammer. If it moves and      `\___/'  \) ~
shouldn't, use the tape.           \\\