Re: [LUG] Email trouble

Julian Hall wrote:
> Neil Stone wrote:

>>> while with no probs.  But I now want to down load my mail using
>>> evolution, mozilla or some such.  I have payed my subscription and
>>> tried to make all the settings but I am unable   to send mail from
>>> said applications.... the server does not recognise by password. I
>>> can recieive mail though. I have sent several plaintive mails to
>>> Linuxmail but to no avail.  Can anyone offer any suggestions.  I am
>>> using Suse 10.0

>>> You paid money for a service.. the ISP should help you out as much as
>>> they can... if not, demand a refund.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Neil Stone
>>>
>>> Systems Administrator
>>> FlashTek UK
> Assuming they support Linux.[1]  You cannot demand a refund for the
> ISP failing to supply a service they didn't say they would.  In my old
> job we lost a lot of time (and in some cases customer goodwill) by
> technicians arbitrarily supporting items they were not supposed to,
> *and* had not been officially trained on.  There are two problems with
> that:
>
> 1.  Assuming support is on a Premium Rate phone line, ICSTIS[2]
> guidelines state that staff may only support what they have been
> trained on.  In actual fact that ruling itself was an extension of the
> official line that staff may only support what they have *supplied*.
> In our case that would have limited us to supporting our dialup
> software supplied on CD - which for an ISP is laughable - so the
> extension was agreed.
>
> That rule meant in essence that if anyone supported something we had
> not been trained on, and ICSTIS had found out, we could have been shut
> down until assurances were given it would not happen again.
>
> 2.  Notwithstanding 1. above, even if the support is not Premium Rate
> there are practical issues.  Staff were not encouraged to give out
> their extension numbers for several reasons:
>
> a: the incoming phone system was incapable of allowing the customer to
> type in an extension anyway.
> b: on a Premium Line it is a breach of the ICSTIS code to put a
> customer on hold (which would have to be done to transfer the call)
> c: in a shift based callcentre the person may not even be in for a
> couple of days.
>
> That always left the poor sod who received the follow-up call with a
> very irate customer that he/she was physically unable to help.
>
> We *did* offer 'Courtesy Support' on rare occasions to non-Premium
> Rate customers, however the customer had to be told up-front it was
> courtesy support, and that we could not, as a company, offer further
> advice if the suggestion did not work:
>
> examples:
>
> a) Customer rings up using Evolution and wants the mail settings - No
> problem at all - supported as the information is standard in all mail
> clients.  I actually gave techs a verbal thick ear if I monitored
> [...]

This may be the case but a few well thought about questions such as.

1) What is your SMTP server ?
2) on which port do i connect to your SMTP server ?
3) Do i need to provide login details to your SMTP server ?
4) if yes to 3, what details do i need to provide ?

etc..etc..

Not rocket science really, if their advisors do not know this
information they should not be in their job...

- --
Neil Stone

Systems Administrator
FlashTek UK