Re: [LUG] Apache security flaw - my website cracked

On Wednesday 19 July 2006 20:33, Ben Goodger wrote:
> Sorry Theo, this point is null and void: the site wasn't compromised.
> It was the ISP's DNS server.

do you know which ISP? They need a good slapping, and i've not heard anyhting
recently in the industry about hacked DNS servers (assuming it was a UK
company). Of course, my bet is they had not kept BIND, djb, or MS dns up to
date.

> God, these people are shits... They go for the people who have no idea and
> hence will give in.

Assuming you are talking about Scientologists, and not me :) ..

i agree.  I had "debate" about their brainwashing techniques when i bumped
into their minions, and i must say they do it fairly well - however, not a
dicussion for here. But yes, complete shits.

> Reminds me of the other hapless idiot who tried to
> force me to shut this site down, and also got me suspended from school
> under the Computer Misuse Act, without me using a computer.

I deal with people like this on a day to day basis, trying to force people to
stop the internet being used for one of the great side products it has
provided: freedom of speech (minus china, of course!).

If you are in the mood for it and have enough money, i'd always recommend
fighting anything like this.  There are a number of hosting companies who
will not cave in to pressure of legal threats [1], providing the content is
of course, legal.

If you're really stuck and can't find a company to host it, i'm happy to stick
it on one of my servers if it's not illegal - nothing will get that shut down
minus a DOS attack or a court order.

Although when it comes to your education, that may not be worth risking :-)

 ~ Theo

1 - Althoguh i don't condone any that do, for an entirly different reason.

--
Theo P. Zourzouvillys
http://www.crazygreek.co.uk