Re: [LUG] New PC vs New OS Was: (Another rant) [Fwd: Microsoft shuts down Windows 98]

> My inlaws aren't the kind of people that can upgrade their computer,
> however even if I did it (and they live 350 miles away) they would need
> 1) New processor
> 2) New HDD
>
> Meaning
> 3) New motherboard
>
> Meaning
> 4) New memory
> 5) New case
>
> And of course the cost of the XP upgrade on top of that.

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/dimen_3100c?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs

Did someone mention 200 pounds to buy XP?  Surely it would be better to
get a new computer (with XP): seems they're going at around the 280 mark
at the moment, but dell sometimes has them for under 200.
The OEMs get such a discount on Windows that old machines hardly seem
viable to keep going anymore.

You only get XP home ed. though, and I would hope that 200 gets you the
full "Professional" edition.

Regards,

Mark