Re: [LUG] NHS IT upgrade set for criticism

Adrian Midgley wrote:

> C&B is impressive in how complex a simple (though moderately large) task
> has been made, and how badly it maps to what the world does.
>
> However ... there was not a FLOSS solution already in existence to
> prevent such a project being done, wrong.

Really, no Floss systems for making appointments, or medical
appointments, or no FLOSS system exactly fitting the criteria?

However I don't think the problems are much to do with technology, and
all to do with scale, experience and management. Sure there are problems
of scaling technology, although surely the big lesson is that one
doesn't necessarily have to do that. When one sets up an Internet shop
one doesn't think hugely about the fact there are a billion potential
users, because if you had to you'd never get anything done.

Oh dear, just tried "Healthspace", failed at step 3 of the registration.
In that case the immediately obvious symptom was technical, but I
suspect the real problem is major competency issues.

Oh and the help page has a layout problem -- took a little persuading
for W3C validator to look at the page (119 errors), that probably helps
explain why the menu doesn't show. Of course if they used the right case
for their xhtml tags the number of errors would be a lot less. My guess
is they are deliberately returning crap to the W3 validator, but then
that could be conspiracy where incompetence will do, either way the old
DRM adage applies, if the browser has to display it you can't hide it.