Re: [LUG] (Another rant) [Fwd: Microsoft shuts down Windows 98]

Theo Zourzouvillys wrote:
On Tuesday 11 July 2006 20:58, Tom Potts wrote:

 What you do not do is give large quantities of money to a company that
makes the same mistakes over and over again - probably deliberately so mugs
will upgrade.

Out of interest, which "same mistakes" do you refer to?

 ~ Theo

Apart from writing appalling software? Apart from trying to pretend computers are easier than they are?
Ever heard of buffer overflow? They cant have had more that a few hundred thousand of those crop up in each new OS.

If I sold you a car without brakes because that was more user friendly you'd have me in court tomorrow - you'd at least get your money back on the argument that 'the product was not fit for purpose' let alone downright dangerous.
Sell me a computer that connects to the net without any security - other than that offered to Microsoft in the product license knowing it could get compromised is theft!
Microsoft could have put in a firewall on all products from w95 onwards at practically zero cost, but then they couldn't have charged thousands for their server software.
Its only public humiliation that has forced them to sell a locked down piece of software.
Tom te tom te tom.