Re: [LUG] K12LTSP

Hi Rob

On Monday 10 July 2006 07:54, Rob Beard wrote:
> I've been running a LTSP server (what K12LTSP is based on) on an Athlon
> 700 with 512MB of ram and it runs happily with a couple of clients.  I
> think the general rule of thumb is to have as much memory as you can.
> You'll probably find you can get away with a P3-1Ghz or Athlon of the
> same sort of speed.  How many clients are you looking at running?
I think I'll be running about 3 clients.

> > Is it also possible to run the network with other clients attached. i.e.
> > Mac or Windows please?
> >

> Yep, you just need to tell the K12LTSP clients to boot from the
> network.  It's even possible to use Macs (iMacs, G3's, G4's etc) as
> K12LTSP clients.  The K12LTSP server will provide DNS & DHCP services.
> The normal clients will just pickup an IP address from the server if
> they're configured to boot from the hard drive rather than the network.
Is it possible to use a raid system please? Or would it be better to use a
good backup system. What I would love to do is to have the thin clients
running of a PIII - I'll stick in a gig of ram. Then also have a mac and
windows box running of the network. It would be useful if all systems could
then backup to a central backup system. Is that possible please?

Thanks
--
Rich
http://www.cregy.co.uk