Re: [LUG] K12LTSP

Richard Brown wrote:
> Hi Tom
>
> On Sunday 09 July 2006 17:18, Tom Brough wrote:
>
>> What does it take to wake these people up !!!
>>
> I have just looked at the K12LTSP website but have a few questions if that is
> ok!
>
> They suggest that it is possible to run OOo, the gimp, etc, but do they run
> slow please? If I wanted to build a system for a local youth group, is it
> better to obtain a good server, i.e. the best available with the budget and
> go from there please?

I've been running a LTSP server (what K12LTSP is based on) on an Athlon
700 with 512MB of ram and it runs happily with a couple of clients.  I
think the general rule of thumb is to have as much memory as you can.
You'll probably find you can get away with a P3-1Ghz or Athlon of the
same sort of speed.  How many clients are you looking at running?
> Is it also possible to run the network with other clients attached. i.e. Mac
> or Windows please?

Yep, you just need to tell the K12LTSP clients to boot from the
network.  It's even possible to use Macs (iMacs, G3's, G4's etc) as
K12LTSP clients.  The K12LTSP server will provide DNS & DHCP services.
The normal clients will just pickup an IP address from the server if
they're configured to boot from the hard drive rather than the network.
> I know these questions might be available on the site but was hoping for a
> quick answer before reading the whole site! I hope you don't mind.

No problem.

Rob