Re: [LUG] Another BBQ

Tom Arrow wrote:
> The happy free one. I *should* get 8mbps and have a limit of 40GB.
> Although they just suggest how to use less if you go over.
>
> --
> Tom (the younger)
Ohh right.  So your exchange is enabled for DataStream (so you get Free
broadband?).  My dad lives in Teignmouth literally 50 mitres from the
exchange.  He's gone for the 'Free (but you have to pay £10 a month
extra to cover the fact that BT don't have Datastream in your local
exchange so we have to pay them £8 per month for the line) broadband'.

He was originally given a date of 23rd July but last week got a letter
confirming his broadband would go live on 23rd June.  Funny thing is he
hasn't received the modem or filters yet and he received the letter on
26th June.  His line however is activated.  I've lent him a router for a
few days until he works out he could do with his own wireless router.

This makes me think you may be lucky and get activated earlier than
originally proposed.

BTW, it seems he (and a few other people) have been activated at about
2.2Mbit.  My dad's download speeds peak at about 220K/sec (downloading
Ubuntu 6.06 from the UK Mirror service) and average out at about
150K/sec.  Not exactly the 8Mbit originally quoted but still better than
what my dad was on - 56k dialup!

Someone did post on the ADSLGuide forums that the lower provided speed
might be because of the huge amount of signups (around 330,000?) and the
fact that if EVERYONE had 8Mbit then there probably wouldn't be enough
bandwith to go around.  At least this way it makes it fair for everyone.

Rob