Re: [LUG] Changing CFLAGS in gentoo

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 22:14:36 +0100
Neil Stone <neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hey, what do i know, i'm just going by what the guys in #gentoo-amd64
> say...
>
> I have;
>
> CFLAGS="-O2 -march=k8"
> CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
> CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
>
> WFM
>
> 3200+

Fair enough, I was told that athlon64 was the way to go on the forum.
I'm not sure it makes all that much difference to be honest with you, I
would imagine that athlon64 in 32 bit mode is probably compiling with
the same optimisations as k8, I just prefer athlon64 as it seems tidier
to use cflags that bear the 'right' name :)

Interestingly (at least to me) your make.conf seems to be the opposite
of mine, I'm running march=athlon64, but my chost is set to
i686-pc-linux-gnu. Are you a running 32 or 64 bit system?

Dan
--
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'
        Salvor Hardin