Re: [LUG] OT: Ancient computing

Henry Bremridge wrote:
> Win 98 bites the dust, came across the following site
>
> http://www.jbum.com/idt/history.html
>

> A History and Overview of Computing in Ancient Britain
>
> Enjoy
>
> henry

On of the myths about things like Stonehenge is that they were
computers. At best they were maps.
People ask how the ancients could build things like Maes Howe where the
sun shines down the entrance tunnel at midwinter sunset without having
complicated astronomical systems.
Its really VERY easy - around winter solstice you have a couple of good
sticks, one fixed and the other moved into position every sunset. When
the movable stick goes no further then you build your entrance tunnel.
No maths no computing nothing remotely fantastic.
Its not computing  just making a note of experience.
Now what is fantastic is how the stones got to Stonehenge - but I bet
when someone finds out we'll all slap our foreheads and go 'Of course'!
It may, of course, just be down to the fact that their lifestyles
allowed them so much leisure time they could prat about building
pyramids and megaliths rather than going around killing each other.
Now we have modern computers that save us so much time we have to work
80 hour weeks just to keep our heads above water. See previous e-mail re
'Leo'
Tom the Farmer