[LUG] Javascript

I have two versions of Firefox on my computer, 1.0.6 and 1.5.0.4,
running on Mandriva2006. The earlier version came with the
installation, the later one I added.

So why have I kept both? Well, 1.0.6 uses javascript when necessary,
but 1.5.0.4 comes up with errors for some reason if javascript is
required. I do not understand this, it is the same computer all the time
and I have Enable Javascript set on both.

There is one difference which may be relevant -

I launch the older version with /usr/bin/mozilla-firefox %u

the newer version uses /home/neil/firefox/firefox

Yes, I installed it in my home directory, a mistake perhaps, but it is
available to other users too.

How can I get the later version to find and use javascript, please?

Thanks

Neil Winchurst