Re: [LUG] Farm stock systems

> James wrote:
> > Tom Brough  wrote:
> >> People talking about county shows got me thinking. Are we missing a
> >> trick here ? We are based in a traditional farming area, yet I don't
> >> know of any free software project that deals with farm stock / breading
> >> control software.
> >>
> >> A quick google has revealed nothing .... or swamped me with (stocks and
> >> shares) programs. [..] Is there a such a program out there ?

> > Well I haven't found one yet. I keep the stock records on the farm where I
> > live using an Open Office spreadsheet. I keep promising to greate a database,
> > but it hasn't happened yet

> Now let me see - I'm a programmer and I've come down here to do some
> farming and its my intention to write FLOSS things (over the calm of
> winter) so perhaps I could start gathering info on what is required here!
> I would intend this to be a web based application - i.e. a web 'client'
> front end and a mono (.NET) /database server backend.
> James contact me off list with your ideas please?

I'm interested in a similar project - my father in law is a commerical
grower (we also sell plants online
<plug>http://www.pukkaplants.co.uk</plug>) and I've long been thinking
of writing something to manage stock, especially if I can grab a csv
out of it and update the website catalogue automatically.

Commerical greenhouses also have the problem of limited space, and the
need to plan stock well in advance to allow 3 to 6 months growing,
repotting, etc of thousands of plants that need to be re-arranged
frequently to cope with new stock, stock being shipped out or being
moved from plugs to 6cm pots to 9 cm pots to 1 or 2 litre pots.

Anyway - stock management sounds interesting and I'd like to help, but
would prefer to use Perl over C# although learning the latter could be
helpful so if there is a compelling case for using it (for the web I'd
choose perl, but for a desktop app I'd choose .net/mono  )

Cheers,

A.