Re: [LUG] AMD 64

Ben Goodger wrote:

> On 09/06/06, *Rob Beard* <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     Ben Goodger wrote:
>
>     > Hi
>     >
>     > I have recently been budgeting for a PVR, but unfortunately this
>     > leaves me without a desktop PC, so my question is this:
>     > What's 64-bit like in Ubuntu nowadays? Can I still run 32-bit
>     apps, or
>     > do I just have to use the limited number of packages that are
>     done for
>     > 64-bit natively? I especially don't want to lose Flash, win32codecs
>     > etc - yes Grant, I know they're not Free&trade; but I need them.
>     And
>     > if I upgrade from say a A-XP 2400+ to an A-64 3200+ what'll the
>     > performance gain be? Noticable? Will Firefox become as quick as
>     it is
>     > currently in Windows?
>     >
>     > Thanks
>     >
>     > --
>     > Ben Goodger
>     > #391382
>
>     I haven't used Drapper on 64-bit yet, but from experience, Breezy
>     (5.10)
>     on AMD64 wasn't too bad.
>
>     I dare say you'll notice some difference compared to an Athlon XP
>     2400+.  You can run 32-bit apps/packages in a 32-bit chroot
>     environment
>     which integrates nicely (i.e. everything runs on the same screen and
>     64-bit & 32-bit apps run side by side).  You could do with AT
>     LEAST 1GB
>     memory though.  I experienced lots of memory use with what I was
>     running.
>

> Got 1GB... Can't I run the two archs side-by-side?

Well you can either do a dual boot between Ubuntu 64bit & 32-bit or run
the 32-bit chroot under 64-bit Ubuntu.

I prefer the chroot option.  With this you can run your regular 64-bit
app's and also run 32-bit apps at the same time on the same desktop.
IIRC the only limitiation is copying and pasting between windows
(although it has been a while since running 64-bit Ubuntu so I could be
mistaken here).

>     win32codecs will work in a 32-bit chroot, as will Flash on Firefox
>     32-bit.  IIRC they currently don't work on 64-bit Firefox.
>
>     If you do go for an Athlon 64, make sure it's Socket 939 at least for
>     upgradability.  Go for Socket M2 if you can get it.  If you get a
>     Socket
>     939 board, get memory in pairs so it can be run in dual channel
>     for that
>     bit extra speed.
>

> I've got two 512MB DIMMS currently, yay.

Good good.

Rob