Re: [LUG] AMD 64

On 09/06/06, Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ben Goodger wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have recently been budgeting for a PVR, but unfortunately this
> leaves me without a desktop PC, so my question is this:
> What's 64-bit like in Ubuntu nowadays? Can I still run 32-bit apps, or
> do I just have to use the limited number of packages that are done for
> 64-bit natively? I especially don't want to lose Flash, win32codecs
> etc - yes Grant, I know they're not Free&trade; but I need them. And
> if I upgrade from say a A-XP 2400+ to an A-64 3200+ what'll the
> performance gain be? Noticable? Will Firefox become as quick as it is
> currently in Windows?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Ben Goodger
> #391382

I haven't used Drapper on 64-bit yet, but from experience, Breezy (5.10)
on AMD64 wasn't too bad.

I dare say you'll notice some difference compared to an Athlon XP
2400+.  You can run 32-bit apps/packages in a 32-bit chroot environment
which integrates nicely (i.e. everything runs on the same screen and
64-bit & 32-bit apps run side by side).  You could do with AT LEAST 1GB
memory though.  I experienced lots of memory use with what I was running.

Got 1GB... Can't I run the two archs side-by-side?

win32codecs will work in a 32-bit chroot, as will Flash on Firefox
32-bit.  IIRC they currently don't work on 64-bit Firefox.

If you do go for an Athlon 64, make sure it's Socket 939 at least for
upgradability.  Go for Socket M2 if you can get it.  If you get a Socket
939 board, get memory in pairs so it can be run in dual channel for that
bit extra speed.

I've got two 512MB DIMMS currently, yay.

Rob

Rob

Ben Goodger
#391382