Re: [LUG] IP address space

mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I have a all of my IP address's in a /27 address space which are a
> subnet from my work.
>
> For political reasons I can only have a /28 address space which is
> causing me issues, I.E. not enough IP address's.

Why can you only have a /28 address space? Are they Internet visible IPs?

The 4 interfaces on your IPcop box- are they needed to divide things up
or could you change things around a bit?

My recommendation is to forget weird address spaces like /27 and /28
wherever possible and try to stick to /8 /16 and /24.

I don't know what your network setup is, but probably the easiest
solution would be to put everything that doesn't need to be directly
visible to the Internet or your work on one network which is routed
through the IPcop box using network address translation. Then everything
that does need to be visible to work/internet can be put on another
interface which is assigned IP addresses in the /28 address space. The
IPcop box can be told to forward connections from the work/internet
interface to this network without any address translation.

> I could create an an alias subnet in the 'green' interface... is that
> possible? I would break my current /27 address space into two /28
> address spaces and alias them on the interface...not sure how that
> works.

If you mean give that interface two different IP addresses then yes,
that could work. ifconfig eth0 [setup options] to set the first one as
normal, then ifconfig eth0:1 [different setup options] to set the second
one. From what I can tell these are now treated as two completely
independant interfaces. Thinking about it, it would probably be better
to have eth0 up but not assigned an ip, and make eth0:1 and eth0:2.

You could then do as I suggested above, but with these virtual
interfaces instead. You might as well have the NATed subnet in a more
sensible form like /24.

I might be able to help more with details of the network structure.
Simon