Re: [LUG] Installing rpm files part 2

Neil Winchurst wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 14:00:22 +0100
> Simon Robert <simon.robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> looking more carefully at your original message I notice you were installing
>> using the mandriva rpm install tool/s. These, both in the configure your computer
>> stuff and run
> Thanks for your help. I have used Mandrake (Mandriva) for years but I
> have never had any problems with rmp files before, so I am somewhat
> ignorant about it all. By the way, I did try urpmi as root in a
> terminal, but still the same error messages.
>
> This all started because I have bought a digital camera, Canon A610 and
> it does not appear on the list of cameras covered by my current copy of
> gphoto2. (2.1.6). It is included in a later version (2.1.99). So I
> simply wanted to update my version of gphoto2. That is when my troubles
> began. I have downloaded various rpm files for gphoto including
> versions 2.1.99-3, 3.1.6-3, 3.1.99-3 and 4.1.6-3. However I have not
> managed to get any of them to install. Always the message about hd
> sources.
>
> I have looked at easyrpmi. Should I download main, contrib and update
> only for now? And should it be the ftp version? Finally does this mean
> that the programs will then appear as part of my update list in
> configure your computer?
>
> And yes, a copy of your script would be much appreciated.
>
> Why didn't all this get installed originally for me anyway?
>
> Thanks for you help
>
> Neil Winchurst

Yes anything from the easyurpmi sources will be in the configure your
computer lists. The only sources that are originally installed are the
packages on your installation disk, anything else you add.

You can add a directory on your hard drive for example. This is useful
if you're doing something like installing the latest open office which
has a zillion rpms all dependent on each other. Stick them in a
directory, add to your sources, select one rpm and all the others should
come with it - which is almost neat.

Is your mandriva 2006 an "upgrade" from 2005 or a re-install? I found
the re-install to be different from the upgrade, that is different =
better. I'm not convinced the upgrade works that well and I seem to
recall that a re-install didn't touch /home/... and so didn't remove too
much that was vital...

--
simon.robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.oldhouse-cottage.co.uk