Re: [LUG] Save your old hardware! DSL & USB ethernet adapter

> Actually, on that subject, does anyone know how to compile a kernel
> module (and maybe it's dependencies too) without having to change the
> kernel config and compile the whole lot?

If your distribution provides either a properly configured kernel
source or a kernel headers package (with config stuff all set) then
you are laughing. If you just take a stock kernel from kernel.org then
this will need configuring. Also be warned that may distros (mandrake
use to be good for this) will apply many patches to ther kernel and it
can become very different to the stock kernel, in this case you MUST
get the source for the running kernel from your distros source
packages. Also keep gcc the same.

As mentioned my someone again recently, often the .config for the
running kernel is also copied in to /boot/????.config and coping this
back to the kernel source dir as .config sets all the correct config
stuff.

Regards

Robin