Re: [LUG] Save your old hardware! DSL & USB ethernet adapter

> I have a circa 1998 Tiny PC, very low powered though I have replaced the
> 1 gig harddrive with a 50GB one and upped the memory a bit. I'd like to
> run DSL on it, currently running mepis lite which is OK but still a bit
> slow. However the PC has no ethernet card and no card slots, I am using
> a sitecom USB ethernet adapter and unfortunately DSL does not recognize
> this device.
Unless that's USB 2.0, you will be lucky to get 11Mbps out of it. That
will increase the latency of your Internet regardless of the connection
speed.

> Does anyone know how I could get DSL to run this device?

Get the relevant kernel module for it. Find a pre-compiled one for your
kernel or compile your own.

Actually, on that subject, does anyone know how to compile a kernel
module (and maybe it's dependencies too) without having to change the
kernel config and compile the whole lot?