[LUG] Useful little Open Source app

Hi folks,

I found a useful little open source application while trying to fix a
PC today which had it's partitions deleted.  The application is called
TestDisk and can be found here: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

The machine in question was running NT 4.0.  The partions on the
machine had been deleted and there was some important data on the
drive.  As usual I had an Ubuntu 5.10 Live CD to hand.  I managed to
boot the machine up, do a Google search and found the TestDisk program.

When I ran the TestDisk program, it found the partitions on the drive
and restored the partition table.  Now the machine boots fine!

 From what I read on the TestDisk Wiki, it can detect and restore lots
of different filesystems including FAT, FAT32, NTFS, Ext2/3, ReiserFS,
LVM, HFS & HFS+ etc.

After looking a bit further, it seems it's also included with Knoppix.
I really must make sure I carry a Knoppix CD with me everywhere! :-)

So folks, if you ever need to restore a partition, it may be worth
giving this a try.

Rob