Re: [LUG] MythTV etc

On 21/05/06 15:26:20, Ben Goodger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Similarly to someone else on this list whose name escapes me, I am
> about to
> set up a server/mythtv system in my home, to provide PVR
> functionality and
> commercial web hosting, web design, file storage etc.
>
> Can anyone recommend a stupidly underspecified, small and ultra-
> silent PC I
> could obtain to stick mythfrontend on? Obviously its only
> functionality will
> be starting knoppmyth, logging into GNOME, and decoding a live MPEG-2
> stream. I'm talking 500mHz PII here, or something... Must also be
> very
> cheap, I'm on a budget of £600 for that, two tuners, cables and parts
> of a
> new desktop for myself.
>
> Also advice on the tuner cards -- should I buy digital now or upgrade
> in
> 2008? And given the computer will be an Athlon XP 2400+ with a gig of
> RAM
> and also be functioning as an FTP, NFS and HTTP server, should I
> purchase a
> hardware tuner?

I have been reading all the posts on this and got a bit confused. I am
not sure if you want two machines or one or what???

If you want a mythfrontend and a seperate mythbackend and the
mythfrontend is just for watching the recorded shows then go buy a
mediamvp off ebay for 30 quid and use mvpmc instead of the vendor
supplied software and put the rest of the dosh into the backend.

Or am I missing something?

--
'ooroo

Email: mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxx        o
You need only two tools.        o /////
A hammer and duct tape. If it    /@   `\  /) ~
doesn't move and it should use  >  (O)  X<  ~  Fish!!
the hammer. If it moves and      `\___/'  \) ~
shouldn't, use the tape.           \\\