Re: [LUG] Flash

On 5/23/06, Tom Potts <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ben Goodger wrote:
> On 22/05/06, *Richard Brown* <rich@xxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:rich@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Guys
>
>     Is there a tool on Linux that enables development of flash content
>     please? Any preferences that folks have?
>

> There was something called something along the lines of "flash4linux"
> or something like that. Also Openoffice.org <http://Openoffice.org>
> Impress can export to Flash. Try SVG if you want to create graphics,
> and also SVG if you want to create animations or web apps with
> graphics and can rely on a recent-and-recent-browser userbase.
>
> --
> Ben Goodger
> #391382
It is really worth considering whether you need Flash at all?  Most of
the money spent on computing these days seems to go on proprietary ways
of re-inventing the wheel, and locking in their data at the same time.
Could you do the same in a set of HTML pages? This makes the content
'open' and reusable, reduces the risk of the recipients computer being
infected and generally reduces computer/network requirements. I have yet
to see a flash 'presentation' that is anywhere near 'accessible'
(http://www.w3.org/WAI/)
SVG is potentially 'well cool' but there are accessibility problems
associated with it and a lot of browsers need a plug-in.
But most Flash seems to be like modern telly - all style and no content!
One reason I use Firefox is so I can turn Flash off and I generally
never turn it on. If only I could work out a way of preventing it even
downloading it....

One important thing to remember a picture is worth a thousand word -
however on the internet it generally takes up the bandwidth of a few
hundred thousand words and is of no use to the visually disabled - over
5% of internet users!.

Tom

I second questioning whether you need to use Flash/Macromedia stuff at
all.  The way it is locked down does not make it very accessible.
Aside from just *flash* the other Macromedia proprietary tech can slip
in (Shockwave, Authorware).

One of the schools I support (special needs) uses a resource that uses
stand alone flash programs and makes it quite accessible (as can
be)(http://www.priorywoods.middlesbrough.sch.uk/resources/books.htm).
That's about the only place I have seen it used well, however.

Oh yeah, there's always hell.com =-)  Gravy for the brain that.

-