Re: [LUG] Email clients

Neil Winchurst wrote:

> Now I can do this with Sylpheed because one of the choices when setting
> up a filter rule is to leave the message on the server. In the filter
> set up in thunderbird, leave on server is not available.

Filtering is applied to the local Inbox on Thunderbird.

But if the emails are sent to different addresses, you often use to be
able to filter these using POP3, a quick Google suggests that this was a
Demon Internet extension to the POP3 server -- but it wasn't just Demon
Internet using it.

The whole approach largely depended on accepting email for any address
to a domain, which these days is a recipe for being spammed into
oblivion when the next dictionary attack comes along.

Since it was a server side extension it didn't require a special client,
and so any mail client that supported POP3 would do.

This I suspect made putting such support in the mail client a minority
interest. Since it assumes your ISP will put multiple emails in one POP3
account (rather than sell/give you N separate accounts), and will not
have made provision for getting them out individually. Add on top the
use of things like Fetchmail for handling the case where there is a
local email server, and it is distinctly a minority thing.

The whole thing is very Heath Robinson. You basically have to download
the email twice (the TOP command only goes so far), and presumably if
some email sneaks in that neither person collects it lurks (as it did on
Demon's mail servers, who sent it back after 30 days I believe -- very
pre-spam approach that -- as was Demon's entire approach to email -- not
their fault they pre-dated spam being a problem).

-