Re: [LUG] Controlling a Sky digibox?

On 5/16/06, Grant Sewell <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Robin Cornelius wrote:

A lot of Sky Digital boxes have an RS232 port on the  back (well, mine
does).  Anyone know if this can be used to control the device, or if
it's purely for uploading a new firmware (as it is with my Freeview box)?

No idea exactly what the RS232 port is for on a sky box. Never found out any info on controlling it via the port. May be its for build time firmware as updates are sent via satelite. It might just be a hang up of a dual serial port fitted to the sky mother board, one has a modem built in for the interactive/online stuff and the other is unused. There is also an expansion slot on the rear but I have never seen anything that uses that.

What you should find with sky boxes is that they are all built to the same basic spec by 5 ish companies. So all old sky boxes will have the same ports and all sky plus boxes will have the same interfaces etc. Although the implementation is down to the individual companies the basic system is the same.

Robin